Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I was out of work for 2.5 months in March after surgery on

Customer Question

Hi, I was out of work for 2.5 months in March after surgery on my neck and got FMLA. On Sept. 23 I fell after passing out and was in the hospital for 6 days and have not been able to work since that. The doctors could not figure out why I have been dizzy. I had FMLA until the end of Nov. Now the employer has decided they are putting me on temporary status as of 12/24/16 and the doctor determined I could go back to work Monday. Can I draw unemployment if I quit?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: HR wants me to come in and sign papers and talk about my benefits.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They talked about putting me on temp. status, but I don't remember them telling me a date.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

If you quit here you are unlikely to get UI benefits.You also likely don't have enough wages on file here either.Please don't shoot the messenger here being honest.You may want to consider at least trying the temp status or apply for SSDI here.These are your options.

I am so sorry that you are having to do this.If you try working and are unable to do so then you file for SSDI. Maybe you get luck and they lay you off here if you are temporary and have some wages on file.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.If you have more followup please just ask.I know you are going through a lot here and it is not a problem.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 3 months ago.

Let me know if you have more thanks.