Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I left my fiance who worked at the same establiment as me. I

Customer Question

I left my fiance who worked at the same establiment as me. I called and got hours for the following week and then was told I couldn't work there because we were now split up.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Part time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If you are asking whether it was legal to let you go on this basis, I'm afraid to say that it typically would be. The reason boils down tot he fact that employment in the state of Florida is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Here, it appears you were let go due to concerns that you could not work productively or harmoniously with someone that you had just ended a relationship with. While understandably quite frustrating to let you go on this basis, it's not illegal, as the reason pertains neither to a protected trait or a protected activity, as defined above. You should have no trouble getting approved for unemployment benefits as you search for a new job.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.