Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

Question, I was hired 2.5 years ago as a supervisor and

Customer Question

Question, I was hired 2.5 years ago as a supervisor and within 9 months I was given 3 merit increases. 6 months later I was promoted to Plant Manager. Now I goes down hill...5 months ago I was told that I was being demoted due to the lack of experience and they was bring someone in with more experience. No money was ever taken from me until 12/30/2016 they took 20K from me and moved me to another department because they fazed out the assistant plant manager job. Can an employer take merit increase back from someone? To my understanding they can take the promote money by not my merit increase is this true?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Columbus, Ohio
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: we are at will and I am a fulltime employee.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and my goal is to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I was the only one this happened to in the plant.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I don't have he money.
Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

I understand, but do you believe it was because of your race, religion, ethnicity, etc? Are you a member of a protected class?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
this is an at will company and I am not a member of a protected class.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Do I get an answer?
Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, as such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation (going forward), schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

Expert:  Loren replied 22 days ago.

I am sorry, I wish I could tell you otherwise.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 19 days ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!