John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

As an at-home medical billing part-time employee (20 hours a

Customer Question

As an at-home medical billing part-time employee (20 hours a week) can my employer legally tell me when to work during my day?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Part time - work from home
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am given vacation and 401K as a part time employee of this company
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime keep this page open and you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Because you're an employee "at will" that means the employer may dictate the terms and conditions of your employment at it's discretion. The facts that you are part-time and work at home do not diminish the employers ability to dictate when you work. If you were a contractor and only had a certain deadline by which to complete the work, then you could do it at your discretion. But because you are an employee the employer may dictate your terms of employment.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.