Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I was eliminated from my company after 20.5 yrs out of the

Customer Question

I was eliminated from my company after 20.5 yrs out of the blue on dec 9th they opened another position lower then what I was if I don't take it can they turn down my unemployment benefits
JA: Did the employer send any notice of cancellation of benefits?
Customer: yes I received a severance letter that I have not sighned yet "fightingit"
JA: Is the employment "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time salaried position
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: before they eliminated my position they hired an ops controller from the street same hay grade and title myself and another ops controller both were eliminated both with long tenure
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Yes if they offer you a job here and you turn it down they can likely contest your UI benefits.I can understand why you would do this but they legally can contest as the employer if you turn down a job offer.They would likely prevail.You have to decide if you want to forgo UI benefits if you turn them down.Please don't shoot the messenger here but they can do so.Anytime you are offered a job here by the employer they will likely contest any UI claim if you turn it down.You may want to consider it if you need the job and income.You can always look elsewhere while working there.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can psoitive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.

I wish you Happy Holidays.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

es if they offer you a job here and you turn it down they can likely contest your UI benefits.I can understand why you would do this but they legally can contest as the employer if you turn down a job offer.They would likely prevail.You have to decide if you want to forgo UI benefits if you turn them down.Please don't shoot the messenger here but they can do so.Anytime you are offered a job here by the employer they will likely contest any UI claim if you turn it down.You may want to consider it if you need the job and income.You can always look elsewhere while working there.

If you can positive rate 5 stars when we are done it is always much appreciated.

I wish you Happy Holidays.