Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

Is there an attorney who can be hired strictly to write a

Customer Question

Is there an attorney who can be hired strictly to write a letter on my behalf to negotiate severance in Arizona?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I may be able to assist...can you provide a bit more insight into what it is you are looking to accomplish?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I filed for an ADA accommodation at work which was granted and afterward my supervisor has been unbearable and retaliatory. I got a call today that I was laid off because the company was bought out but I was the one to be let go while others without a disability stayed even though our job performance was the same. It is not a coincidence to me that I was the one chosen to be laid off versus the other counterpart with that exact same tenure but that my disability was THE reason why I was selected to be laid off. They offered a severance, but I feel like it should be more or that I should pursue an EEOC claim if they're unwilling to increase the severance.

Thanks
And the letter in question...is it to be signed by you? Are you are looking to have an attorney sign it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Im thinking that would be better no? I have sent in an email requesting more severance and I have yet to receive a response. The email is copied below:I have been thinking about what happened regarding my employment on November 29, 2016. When I was told that the company had been purchased and was given literally one hour notice prior to being told my employment was over, I was completely taken aback.This news and the information I’ve received since has put me in a very uncomfortable and unsettling position. I realize I haven’t yet communicated my needs because of the initial shock that I was in, but I need assistance during this transition to ensure that me and my family are not heavily impacted and four weeks of severance pay is just not going to make that doable.As you’re aware, my recent interaction with my supervisor and the company prior to being let go were not pleasant or positive given that I felt in the end, my disability and medical concerns were leading to some pretty serious retaliatory behavior. As you’re also aware I was later granted an ADA accommodation from HR after completing all of your required paperwork and submitting information from my physician. After filing the complaint, during the period of time I was waiting on an answer on my accommodation, and then following the approval….I began documenting all the emails and daily interactions with my supervisor that did not improve and in fact became worse. That being said, and since finding out that I was the only one from my department that was laid off and not transitioned into the new company, there is no doubt in my mind that this is/was a convenient reason to get rid of me based on my ADA accommodation and in fact THE reason why I was chosen to be let go over others in my department.Since I am financially unprepared to make this transition, and given the niche market of my job description making it a lengthier process to find new employment, I would like you to consider the following:Based on my research, it would take a minimum of three months to secure a job. It will likely take me longer than that amount of time given the nature of my skill set, but I am requesting three months of severance with the employer covered COBRA medical/dental etc, for three months as well. I would also ask for a positive letter of recommendation to use in securing new employment. Of course this agreement would include returning the company laptop I have.Please let me know as soon as possible your position on this request so that I can determine the next best course of action. Thank you in advance for understanding the difficulty in trying to navigate or make sense of this sudden termination. It is really emotionally exhausting to have gone through the tumultuous process of filing a formal complaint only to be let go within a week of finally achieving some accommodation.Sincerely,Olivia McKinley

If you are looking to hire a lawyer to represent you (including signing off on such a letter)? You will need to look elsewhere.

I am an AZ attorney but the terms of service PROHIBIT me from representing you. I can not be your lawyer...so I can not sign the letter.

That said, I would be willing to help you write a letter for your signature...if you are interested I will send the offer for services and if you accept we can work via email/phone to get the letter you want.

Let me know