Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

Can my manager tell another employee personal information

Customer Question

can my manager tell another employee personal information about me the manager does not know I know the employee is a friend and told me , If an employer hires me after a background check and I pass and he googles me and finds something that happened before I was hired and never ask me does he have the right to fire me
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Chicago il.60612
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: non union full time I am a certified sterile processing tech I work at rush hospital
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what can be done to save my job
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

That depends on the situation. What kind of personal information was disclosed, exactly?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That i had a previous criminal background i have an excutive clemenacy but google shows it this is all before i was hired
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your call request. The site allows the expert to opt out of the call request, and I must respectfully ***** ***** not worry - other experts receive the request as well, and the first available expert calls. They will also have your question and my replies to build upon, so nothing will be lost.
Note that another expert tried to take the call but it seems that the billing for the call failed. You can contact customer service to settle this matter.
On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
There is no law that states that a manager/superior cannot share a criminal background information with someone else - another employee or otherwise. However, there is a subjective cause of action for this under INVASION OF PRIVACY - DISCLOSURE OF PRIVATE FACTS. This is when legal action may be taken if an individual publicly reveals truthful information that is not of public concern and which a reasonable person would find offensive if made public. If the Judge/Jury agrees that this information is not of public concern and which a reasonable person would find offensive if made public, then the person (and the company) can be held liable.
The problem is proving that the information is not of public concern and which a reasonable person would find offensive if made public - this is highly subjective and is on a case by case basis! Add to this it is already public (since it is online), which makes the case harder to civilly prosecute.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!