Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My wife, 60 years old, 30 years on the job, has just been

Customer Question

My wife, 60 years old, 30 years on the job, has just been told that due to cutbacks her hours will be cut to 32 from 40 per week. She is the senior employee so the cuts will hit her salary harder than any other. Can they do that.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we just met with HR and the cutbacks will take effect Jan 1
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Due to typing she is being treated for and may have to go on work comp due to carpal tunnel both hands
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about these cutbacks. However, in general an employer is free to cut hours to suit the needs of its business. It would only be illegal if your wife had a contract guaranteeing 40 hours a week for a set period of time, or if she could prove that the reason for the cutback was a legally protected trait, such as her race or religion.

I truly wish I had better news to share, but I trust you will appreciate an honest answer to your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....