ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

We have three employees out of 25 that are salary. One at

Customer Question

We have three employees out of 25 that are salary. One at 450.00 per week another at 435.00 per week and the third at 675.00 per week. When they work over 40 hours it is no more than 10 hours over. I have always made sure their pay overs at least minimum wage and time and a half for anything over. How will the new law that goes into effect on Thursday change for me? Thank you for your help.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oklahoma
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

When they work overtime, the 1.5x multiplication is 1.5x their hourly rate (the amount they make divided by the hours they work). So if it's $450, and they work 40 hours, it's $450/40=$11.25 hourly. $11.25 x 1.5 =

BUT it has been blocked by court order, so while you could comply with the new rule, you don't have to until the judicial stay is lifted.

From the Department of Labor:

On November 22, 2016, U.S. District Court Judge Amos Mazzant granted an Emergency Motion for Preliminary Injunction and thereby enjoined the Department of Labor from implementing and enforcing the Overtime Final Rule on December 1, 2016. The case was heard in the United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division (State of Nevada ET AL v. United States Department of Labor ET AL No: 4:16-CV-00731).

So while the "final rule" says that it's going to be implemented December 1, the ruling enjoining it has the effect of delaying that matter. So you can continue to pay what you're paying until the injunction is lifted.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~40 MINUTES) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!

Hello?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 9 days ago.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer.