Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I recently left a job after 5 months. Part of the terms of

Customer Question

I recently left a job after 5 months. Part of the terms of employment were that I repay a signing bonus and relocation expenses that the company paid if I left in less than 12 months. When I left they said I would receive a letter/bill in the mail with the repayment amount due. It has been a while and I have not received anything. is there any statute on a "reasonable" amount of time they should notify me within? As in, if I get the letter after 30/60/90 days a court would consider it unreasonably late and void? Thanks!
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 days ago.

No, in Ohio unfortunately they have up until 8 years to recover on a breach of contract claim so they obviously have to let you know within that 8 years. I am not aware of any other obligation that they have to notify you with a fixed number of days.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I am not sure this would be a breach of contract (you would know better than me). In my opinion I did not breach any contract, it said that if I leave in less than 12 months I must repay the costs, it did not say that I must stay for 12 months. So I am not in breach of the contract (in my opinion) as I am willing to repay the costs per the agreement, they just have not sent the final bill. Would that still qualify under the 8 year breach of contract laws?

No, I am not saying you breached, but if after the 8 years they never submitted you the amount, then they would no longer be able to collect that amount.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
then I am confused why this would fall under the statute of limitations for a breach of contract. sorry for so many questions, I am just trying to understand.

I was saying that is the last possible deadline they can seek to get this money repaid. There are no other deadlines in contract law that you were asking. Ask as many questions as you need. I want you to feel that you were satisfied.

Generally the law does require that all parties have to act in good faith so they should not wait like 6 years to tell you what you owe but there is no explicit deadline.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 days ago.

If you have any further questions just let me know, otherwise a positive rating of 5 stars would be greatly appreciated.