Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I retired from Shell Oil Co in 1999 and later returned as a

Customer Question

I retired from Shell Oil Co in 1999 and later returned as a contractor, full time for 9 years. Am I entitled to a pension increase based on my contract work?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I retired from Shell in California and worked as a contractor for Shell in Texas.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I was contracted through corporate staffing agencies. I worked full time 2000 or more hours per year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Once you terminated your actual employment, you became an independent contractor and as an independent contractor you are not eligible to accrue time towards your pension. As you were not an employee, you were not eligible to participate in their pension so any of the time you worked after 1999 would not go towards your pension I am afraid. Only the time prior to your departure in 1999 is used towards your pension entitlement.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.