P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11181181

I need to know if I have a case against my soon to be former

Customer Question

Hi
I need to know if I have a case against my soon to be former employer. I have put in my notice due to significant ethical and legal issues with the company, but also because they did not live up to the agreement in an offer letter they gave me.
In the offer letter, they stated they would give me X salary, 5% raise every year for the first 2 years, paid cell phone & healthcare coverage. I replied to the offer stating I accept the terms and they could send me the contract to sign, which they never sent. But, I was still employed and moved across the country, on my own accord, for the job based on the offer letter.
To this day, they never paid for any of my cell phone after repeated requests, they never gave me the raise (or even discussed it), they didn't give me health coverage until 8 months after my start date (and forged the paperwork so I could get it out of the enrollment period) and they ignored any time I've spoken of any of it.
At this point, if I look at my compensation, it's about $5300 which if it were not in the package, I most likely wouldn't have accepted the job.
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 days ago.

What you describe is governed by contract law. Contract law is not complex...they teach it first year, first semester in law school. In order to have a valid contract you need 3 things

1. An offer by one person to do or refrain from doing some thing.

2. Acceptance by the other party of the offer...that is the other party must agree to the offer made.

3. Consideration. There must be an agreement to exchange something of value (like money or time) for the contract to be valid.

Here, if you had an agreement with this company on compensation and you met your end of the deal? You can demand they fulfill theirs. If they do not you can sue them for breach of contract

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.