Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my

Customer Question

This is worker's compensation question. I have reported my sickness to my supervisor by texting and then verbally within 10 days of its onset. I have contracted this sickness while travelling abroad (probably exposed to a sick person in a third world country). Now this sickness can be more serious than I originally thought but it has been 6 weeks since the illness started. In NY, I believe, there is a requirement to report it in writing (i believe) within 1 month. Would I be precluded from collecting worker's compensation because of late reporting in writing to my worker's compensation carrier or I can be given a reprieve because I notified a supervisor by texting and verbally within 10 days of the sickness onset and because I did not realize the seriosness of the sickness.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 9 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are you in New York or are you saying you live in Canada but go sick while working in New York for a Canadian employer?

The question is on the Canada law list.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no sorry for confusion. I live in US and work for US employer. But I caught the illness while overseas in the Asian country while on company business. Did I submit this by accident to the Canadian attorney - -I was planning to do this by submitting this question to Social Security attorney in US (they also often deal with worker's comp). Also just for clarification -- the cause and the seriousness of my illness was diagnosed just a few days ago.

It's OK.

I will ask the site to move this question and I will opt out so a US lawyer can pick this up.