Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I work for a bank. For 17 years. The branch I work at is

Customer Question

I work for a bank. For 17 years. The branch I work at is closed on sat. Always has been. So we do not work on sat. When I was hired 17 years ago, there was no mention of working sat. So we never have worked. A nearby branch is open till 12. Those workers are complaining about working on sat which they knew they would have to when they were hired for that branch. So now we are being told that we have to drive to nearby branch on sat and work one a month. Can they do this? I have aproblem with baby sitting on sat and have other obligations..
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: No Union and I work part time. But there are some that work full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to Just Answer.

I am very sorry to hear about this change in schedule. However, unless you have a contract which expressly restricts your employer's ability to do this, then I am afraid to tell you that they can. You can attempt to reason with your employer and explain that this is unfair and unprecedented. But ultimately they are free to manage their business and schedule their employees however they see fit. I am terribly sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....