Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I work for an automobile dealership that does their own

Customer Question

I work for an automobile dealership that does their own financing and payments are made directly to us. I handle contracts, insurance, refinances, collections, and make very important daily decisions on a daily basis. The administrative classification the department of labor has set forth is the correct description. I receive $400 a week salary to do this. I also get commissions if I make a sale. Should I be receiving the current minimum of $455 a week even though the sales commissions are a completely different aspect of the every day business decisions I make? I also average over fifty hours a week.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are a salary employee, then under the old rules, you should be receiving a minimum of $455 a week, $26500 per year in salary. The new rules are on hold.
However, whether you are a salary or hourly employee is purely to the discretion of the employer and there is no law saying you have to be a salary employee and the employer can always make an employee an hourly employee even if they would qualify for being a salary employee (it would not work the other way around though, they cannot make someone salary who does not qualify to be salary).
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
But do the commissions come into play on that? With commissions it does put me over the current yearly limit. Am I entitled to the $455 a week even with a sales commission if I meet the administrative requirements.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply
Commissions are deemed a part of salary or pay and as such they do come into the calculation.