Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can I initiate a lawsuit against my employer if their

Customer Question

Can I initiate a lawsuit against my employer if their internal compliance investigation and appeal were denied
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome. What sort of complaint and appeal are you talking about here? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Initial Complianc Complaint was denial of a promotion based bias/discrimination. Appeal included intimidation, retaliation and creating a hostile work environment

Thank you.

Unfortunately, there is no legal mechanism for appealing an employer's internal investigation. However, you do have recourse. Your recourse would be to file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, which is the agency that investigates and prosecutes violations of our discrimination laws. That would be the next step here. Once you file your complaint, the EEOC will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney. See here to initiate the process.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Was there anything else I can do for you before we wrap up?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What would the EEOC do differently?

The EEOC is the entity that actually has authority to enforce anti-discrimination laws against your employer. Your employer has no legal obligation to police itself or enforce anti-discrimination laws against itself, so any investigation they conduct into your allegations is purely voluntary and discretionary. The EEOC will investigate, interview all relevant parties, and hold a formal mediation. I hope this helps. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....