Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Is a training agreement enforceable an an employer in utah?

Customer Question

Is a training agreement enforceable an an employer in utah? I do not charge for training related to the position such as orientation and learning reception, our policies, etc. But I train my staff to be competent and excellent waxers (body hair removal). When estheticians are graduated from school, they are not good at waxing. It's something that can take years to become proficient on their own but I teach through hands on, one on one sessions that allows them to learn what it took me several years to learn. I have them sign a training agreement saying it's $25 per hour and usually around 30 hours. Is that legally enforceable?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 19 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, it is legal to contract for anything that is not against the law. So if you want to enter into a training contract with the employees and set a fixed amount for the cost of training in the event they violate the terms and state in the agreement that if they violate the contract with you then they agree to repay you the cost of the training and set the price. You can also state they agree to pay $25 per hour for the training out of their pay for 30 hours of training and that would come from wages. So you can make them train for free for the 30 hours without paying them a wage as long as they agree they are paying that for the training received.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.