Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was working for a government contractor who is selling the

Customer Question

Good evening. I was working for a government contractor who is selling the company. Our out side auditors have been making entries to our books. Now that the company is up for sell, I informed the owners that our outside auditors could not continue to make entries. I was told that I was not a team player and that I should work to cover this up since we are all in this together. This caused a lot of stress for me as I knew it was wrong. I became sick and had to have minor surgery. While out, my supervisor called me to tell me that my position was being eliminated. I have never received anything in writing but was asked to turn in my work computer. I requested to take vacation vs being paid out my vacation. Two weeks later I still have not received anything telling me officially that my position has been eliminated but during this time, the owners created a new position and promoted someone to that position. I was not offered an opportunity to compete and position was never posted internally or externally. Do I have a case
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I feel I was terminated because the owners felt that I was not being a team player.
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Did you have any type of written employment agreement that would guarantee your employment for a certain period of time?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No