Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If an employee is verbally assaulted by a co worker what

Customer Question

If an employee is verbally assaulted by a co worker what actions can be taken
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: virginia
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I am technically part time but work more hours person who verbally assaulted me is full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The person who verbally assaulted me in front of numerous co workers is friends with the office manager so basically nothing was done
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 11 days ago.

Good evening and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about this. Did the person attack you based on your race, religion, gender, disability or something along those lines?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No

Thank you. In that case I am very sorry to say that what you describe is likely not legally actionable. As surprising as it may sound, there is no law against being rude or disrespectful in the workplace. The one exception is harassment on the basis of legally protected traits, such as those mentioned above, which can be actionable under our civil rights laws. Otherwise, though, this is not a legal issue but rather an interpersonal issue. Your remedies are to report this unprofessional employee to HR and to your supervisor. Although what they did is probably not illegal, it is still entirely unacceptable and most employers will discipline an employee who engages in this sort of behavior without any hesitation. They just aren't legally required to, though.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.