John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am on FMLA from employer A. Today I sent my letter of

Customer Question

I am on FMLA from employer A. Today I sent my letter of resignation to employer A--informing them that I resign and will begin employment with another employer B. Employer A replied to my letter--asking if I was looking for a job while on FMLA. Employer A was paying for my health insurance for these passed three months. Is there some action that employer A can take against me for this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of right now
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

Yes, if you never had an intent of returning to work they can charge you for the premiums they paid for your health insurance while on FMLA leave. In reality this rarely occurs because of the difficulty of proving the employee had an intent not to return. For example, all you would have to say is I did intend to return to employer A, but B contacted me with an employment offer.

Expert:  John replied 12 days ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 5 days ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Expert:  John replied 1 day ago.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.