Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

What is the minimum pay in MA when employees come in for say

Customer Question

What is the minimum pay in MA when employees come in for say 30 minutes?
Is it 2 hours or 3?
Thanks
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 19 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The state has a minimum wage of 10.00 USD per hour. But it has not minimum "time amount" requirements. So if the person works for less than an hour, they get paid whatever that percentage of the hour is. Meaning, half an hour equal $5.00.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.

This was not a work day. They had employees come into the office to sign paperwork. So do we pay them the minimum 2 or 3 hours?

Thank You

Expert:  Ely replied 19 days ago.
It does not matter whether this was a work day, or not. If an employee comes in - on the clock - then they get wages for that time.
There is no mandatory minimum of time they have to be paid. So if they can in for 15 minutes, that means 25% of one hour, which means $2.50.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 17 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!