Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been working at the same job for almost 3 years and

Customer Question

i have been working at the same job for almost 3 years and in my last review i was told by the owner of the company ( your doing so good im not going to fire you) and just a few weeks later i got fired. and he couldn't give me any reason at all. was i wrongfully fired ? and what can i do about it ?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: south Florida, broward county
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full-time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i believe there was foul play by another employee to get a friend a job.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear that you were let go. Unfortunately, the general rule is that employment in the state of Florida is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

So, your employer was not required to state a reason or even to have a reason to let you go. They would only be prohibited from terminating you on the basis of a legally protected trait or activity, as defined above. If you have any reason to believe that you were terminated for such a reason, you may have a claim for wrongful termination, but the burden of proof would fall on your shoulders. Ultimately, this means you would need to convince a jury, based on all the facts and circumstances, that it is more likely than not that you were terminated because of a protected trait or activity. However, if you don't believe you can meet this burden of proof then you would not have any grounds to sue, despite your termination being unfair and without any apparent reason.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.