Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

My husband had to sign up for Cobra. He has cancer and

Customer Question

My husband had to sign up for Cobra. He has cancer and hasn't worked for 6 months. Cobra costs him 900.00 a month. With hospital and doctor bills, we are going through our savings like water. Is $900.00 excessive?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pa.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 21 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually under our wonderful healthcare system and the affordable healthcare act, $900 is not really excessive it is about average which runs right now between $750 and $1250 per month. AS the open enrollment period is open on the healthcare marketplace, I would suggest you go onto the healthcare marketplace (https://www.healthcare.gov/) and register and seek a policy under their low income guidelines which would mean he could qualify for a low income plan subsidy which would reduce your costs.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.