Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Yesterday, I fell on my job and bruised my face and left

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: Yesterday, I fell on my job and bruised my face and left side of my body. I was given paperwork to fill out and I was not totally coherent, nor did I receive any advisement. I was told I had 24 hour to fill the paperwork out. The secretary returned a few times to see if the paper work was filled out. After the paperwork was completed, I went to the Workman's Compensation office where I saw there doctor. He determined that I was bruised and to lessen my activity of walking, bending, climbing, to take it easy etc... Then he said you are released back to work. I asked how am I to take it easy when my job requires me to monitor students. He prescribed over the counter medicine for pain and inflammation and asked me to return in two weeks. Well I was in pain this morning, so I phone in ill. My supervisor then called and told me I would be docked for the day because I checked the box that said I chose to be paid by worker compensation. I agreed to come to work so I called the person over workers compensation and asked her if I could change my election. She stated that is why you are suppose to read and I am leaving for vacation at 11.00m and she had already submitted my paperwork to the advisers. Mind you it was 10ish when I spoke to her. Initially I was told I had 24 hours. Is this legal not allowing a person to change their selection and informing them that they must be docked 8th days before payment for workers compensation?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? I'm the lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Texas,
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: She sent me the legal form before 11. I just saw it in my work email.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties and the way that you have been treated.

No, it is not legal the way you have been treated. If you had 24 hours to complete the paperwork, you should have been given the 24 hours to complete the paperwork instead of working around the schedule of someone going on vacation. You need to file complaint with that person's supervisor for the way you have been treated.

I wish you very speedy recovery from your injury.

Goodluck with your case,