Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am on medical leave and have been informed that I can not

Customer Question

I am on medical leave and have been informed that I can not talk to my coworkers or anyone at the hospital where I work. I am a contracted employee at that hospital
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I work in Maryland. The contract company is in TN
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am on medial leave. recently the contract company that out sources my services to a hospital decided to terminate my position once my FLMA expired. This was done by sending me letter without telling my coworkers or surgeon that we serve or the hospital that we serve. They posted my position on the intermet I have an impectable work performance record with the hospital, surgeon and coworkers. My doctor upon seeing the employers letter immediately certified me for coverage under the ADA. ADA according to him qualifies individuals for reasonable extension of leave for recovery from surgery or illness. The hospital and surgeon who I serve also called the company demanding my company cease any action to terminate my position. I did receive a letter from my company reversing their actions to terminate me. At the end of the letter they forbid me to talk to my coworkers, surgeon or anyone at the hospital.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you.

There is nothing illegal about instructing an employee who is on leave to refrain from talking to co-workers as a condition of further employment.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Was there anything else I can do for you?