Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My wife somehow forgot to pay her Cobra last month. She

Customer Question

My wife somehow forgot to pay her Cobra last month. She receive an email yesterday that the coverage was canceled. However the date on the letterhead said 11-10-16 and they said the coverage was dropped 11-1-16. Here's the rub, she has surgery 2 days ago.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: No, she was terminated because of medical issues that resulted in multiple surgeries. I didn't think we dealt with them anymore.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: She was a professional in compliancy salary.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We have a lawyer working on her discharge, but this latest twist looks really bad for us financially.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for the information. Can you tell me what your specific legal question is? Also, when you say she forgot to pay last month, do you mean October? What does the policy say about coverage dates and what period the premiums cover? In other words, are the premiums to cover the calendar month or some other dates within a month (i.e. 15th to 15th)?