Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a 61 year old Registered Nurse. I am employed at a

Customer Question

I am a 61 year old Registered Nurse. I am employed at a Catholic Hospital. This year they made the flu vaccine mandatory. My immune system was compromised after an exposure to black mold. I took the flu shot in 2015 and I had health issues for approximately 6 months after. I filed for both a medical and religious exemption. The medical exemption was denied and the religious exemption has not been addressed. I was told 2 days ago to stay home since I had not received the flu vaccine by November 15. I was told that these were considered unexcused absences and could lead to termination. I have been a nurse for 24 years at this facility with exemplary attendance and patient care. Can you advise me?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Went to HR this morning for answers and something in writing especially since they had not addressed the religious exemption. They told me it was not their issue. I asked for policy in writing and have an appointment to go back at 3:30 today
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: No union, work 7 out of 10 days per 2 week period/ part time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have also filed religious exemptions for my adult children while they were in school for vaccination exemption which my employer does not know
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 23 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I can suggest options for pursuing a claim. would you like that?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Dissatisfied with what is going on now, please refund my money.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

Good morning,

New Professional here. I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades. I have represented nurses in actions against hospitals and nursing facilities on many occasions, and my wife is a nurse, so I understand how the health care employment situation is.

1. What is your question?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 23 days ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.

Doug