John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I'm wondering if I have a case for wrongful termination and

Customer Question

I'm wondering if I have a case for wrongful termination and what I need to do immediately. I just found out from a client that I was fired not even the owner from the business. The owner sent out an email to all my clients.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh sorry MN
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: yes but couldn't I sue for deformation
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: He told all my clients why I was fired and I was not informed of this until I had my client fwd me the email the owner sent out.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

If he just told them that you are fired that's not defamation, it's true it doesn't defame your character. Now if he made false statements that hold you in a bad light in addition to the statement that you're terminated, that would be actionable. The fact that he told clients before you, is not of any legal consequence; unfortunately.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he made false statements on no grounds of which he has proof and it will affect my future character and income for tarnishing my reputation.
Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

You appear to have requested a phone call, but the payment failed...you may want to contact customer service if you still want a call. Otherwise, yes you have a potential claim for defamation, slander or libel and intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

Expert:  John replied 4 months ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.