Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Dr. is the second Dr. I asked about this situation, and like

Customer Question

Dr. Wilson is the second Dr. I asked about this situation, and like the other, the said he couldn’t help me, but gave some advice that if I pursued this question, some of what is in my write-up falls under statute of limitations. (This Dr. in the first PMC is VERY WELL KNOWN in VA, Md, etc. ) All I want to know is do I continue or do I leave it alone.
Dr. Wilson, I'm hoping you can help. I've contacted a lawyer in Virginia who called me a week later and told me that they could not help me. They took both Drs. names and said they couldn't help me. No reason. I am a Chronic Pain Sufferer (I have DDD) and had been with a PMC from 2010 to 2016. I did not have a signed Opioid Agreement for 2015 and 2016. I had to have several ER visits cuz my meds were not working. Each time I went to ER I either faxed my visits or called them in the am. In early August my PMC decided that they were not going to give me anymore meds and dropped me from their prescription writing but would still do my injections as needed. This had never happened before. I asked to talk to my PA, who wouldn't, too busy, and I could talk to the Dr, who had not seen me in 5 years. I had 1 oxycon and maybe 3 onycod left. For 1 week I had no meds at all. I went to see my Ortho who found out that my pain was coming from my L4 L5 area and that I would need an injection in that area. This visit was interesting in that I found that another lady had gone thru something similar (they stopped her with no notice) only a Dr. had written her a pain prescription (the ER had written mine) and she was dismissed from the PMC practice. Dr. Wilson, no one had every said anything to me about was getting prescripitions from the ER. They always knew.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 23 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, a doctor is not mandated to write controlled substance prescriptions for any patient by any laws. So, the agreement to provide pain medications is a contractual agreement between the doctor and the patient. State laws are making it harder for doctors to continue to issue controlled substances to chronic patients and even though you gave them notice of going to the ER and were not trying to hide anything, legally they can refuse to continue to provide the medications and it is not deemed malpractice or even against any laws. So it is for this reason the attorneys are telling you there is nothing they can do, it is because the doctors have the right to stop writing prescriptions even if you went to the ER to get something because the pain meds were not working. In fact, that is an indication that pain meds should be stopped and some new course of treatment needs to be determined.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for your timely response.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for your reply.