TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I gave my employer my resignation on October 26 for my last

Customer Question

I gave my employer my resignation on October 26 for my last day to be Nov 23rd. I am a hourly employee. I was told Friday that they have changed my last day to be the 15th. I was told they were going to use my PL time instead of paying me regular pay until the 23rd. Can they do this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am an RN and have worked for Halifax hospital for 10 y
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to help if I can. Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct any necessary research, and type a response. Thank you.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Hello again.

Yes, I'm sorry to say that your employer has the right to change your last day, just as you would have that same right if you decided that your last day would be the 14th instead of the 15th. Both you and your employer have that same right. Of course, this means that you can start your new job (if you have one waiting) early.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I just want to know if they can use my PL time or do they need to pay me regular time up to my resignation date
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 20 days ago.

Hi again.

If you're not working from the 16th to the 23rd, then they certainly don't need to pay you your regular time during that period. Giving you PL time for that period is the same as simply paying you for unused PL time. So that is certainly allowed, and is actually very good news for you since not all employees who quit a job get paid for unused PL time.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, and you haven't yet rated me, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.