Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I work in Saudi for an American Company. I work offshore.

Customer Question

I work in Saudi for an American Company. I work offshore. This was about a month ago and we had a death on the vessel I am on. the employee died of a heart attack. we had some other work related problems. i am the Superintendent of the vessel. Well i started experiencing health problems. i was dizzy my head heart my chest felt like i pulled a muscle and my left arm was tingling. I sent n email into my boss telling him of these symptons and told him something was not right. The doctor on the vessel was constantly monitoring with the EKG machine blood pressure etc. I was basically told by him on the phone there was no one to relieve me at this time and just stay inn your office and don't get overheated, don't climb stairs. it was 10 days before i was sent in to shore and flown to Dubai for a medical check up. I was told by the Dr. it was probably a stress or panic attack. Was this right of my boss to keep me on the vessel till he could find someone to replace me.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i work in saudi. but my company is out of houston
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: fulltime
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 24 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that. No, your boss handled the situation extremely poorly and exposed the company to potential liability. However, since you were fortunate that nothing happened, there's not really grounds for a legal claim at this point. However, if I were you I would submit a complaint about this in writing to HR so that if there is a problem in the future it can be addressed and be evidence for a future lawsuit if needed.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 23 days ago.

If you have no further questions a positive rating would be greatly appreciated