Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am 47 and vested in PA Union carpenter's pension. I am

Customer Question

I am 47 and vested in PA Union carpenter's pension. I am disabled and unable to work, and receiving SS disability for last 10 years. Do I have any access to those funds or do I have to wait til 55?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I became vested working full time, at that time, as a union carpenter. The pension plan was a benefit paid by the employer.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 28 days ago.

You should be able to file now if you are disabled and have at least five years of service in the union.

Here is the pension plan rules and look under disability.I would contact them on Monday and make application, you should be abel to get pension here based on disability.

http://www.carpenterscombinedfunds.org/wp-content/uploads/GPACarpentersPensionSPD2012.pdf\

Since you get SS disability you should automatically be able to qualify as disabled here.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.