Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am an independent contractor in a salon with my own

Customer Question

I am an independent contractor in a salon with my own private studio. I pay a lease to the salon owner. The salon owner is telling everyone they cannot talk about politics with clients and clients cannont talk politics with stylists. I explained to her that i am not her employee and it violates the constitution restricting mine, and my clients freedom of speech. Am i correct? Thank you for your time and consideration, Lydia
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Good evening Lydia. I'm sorry to hear about this issue.

It is commonly misunderstood, but with few exceptions the constitutional right to "free speech" actually only apples to restrictions imposed by the government. It says nothing about how individuals can restrict speech on their own private property. So, generally speaking, a salon owner would be perfectly free to impose the sort of rule you describe. You are free to carry on these discussions, just not on the salon owner's property.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....