Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I work in a supermarket in LA and the owner of the store is

Customer Question

i work in a supermarket in LA and the owner of the store is always talking down to me and he drinks at work also, he talks to all of the employees this way, no respect
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: louisiana
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: part time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 25 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear about the way you are being treated. Do you believe there is some sort of ulterior motivation for the treatment? Also, what precisely is your question regarding this situation? Are you asking if you can sue your employer? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
he treats all the employees this way, he scolded me in the store and took away a day of work from me, everyone knows he is an alcoholic and i dont know what i want done i need options i like the people there and i really need this job

Thank you.

I truly wish I could tell you otherwise but there is no law that requires employers to be polite, professional, or even respectful to their employees. Hostile treatment is only actionable when it relates directly to a legally protected trait, such as race or religion (i.e. yelling racial slurs), in which case it may be actionable under our civil rights laws. Otherwise, though, I'm afraid all you can do is report the owner of the store to corporate (if there is a corporate department that oversees his store) or look for alternative employment somewhere else where you are treated with the respect that you deserve. I truly wish there were better options, but I trust you will appreciate receiving an honest and direct answer to your question.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....