Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Workplace placed me on unpaid Leave of Absence as my doctor

Customer Question

Workplace placed me on unpaid Leave of Absence as my doctor did not return a certification form for to HR in a 2 week manner explaining that even with sleep apnea I am able to drive a car.(including a box truck) Condition of employment was to get a DOT physical which I was able to pass. Is this leave of ansence something that I should be paid for as I've jumped through the hoops for HR to be in the know per their requests yet it didnt seem like it was enough
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 22 days ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Unfortunately, the employer is within its rights not to pay you under the circumstances. If you did not provide certification within the time stated by the employer that you are fit for duty, the employer has not legal obligation to let you return back to work. The employer is also not obligated to pay you for if you did not submit the required certification within the deadline given by the employer.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,