Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I have a disciplinary hearing next month on excessive

Customer Question

I have a disciplinary hearing next month on excessive unexcused sick leave. I have sarcoidosis and diabetes. Been on my job for 14 years but for some reason, they are taking it back for 10 years saying I abused my sick time with a doctors excuse. I have explained to my immediate supervisor of my condition and she knows what's going on with me, yet the Chief of Police wants to take action against me. I read that my condition falls under the American Disabilities Act. What are my legal rights? Because some days with I don't feel good, I can't work and my doctor will not issue me doctor excuses every time I miss work on those occasions unless I had an appointment with him that took me away from my job.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union and full time (Police Department)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that for now.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 25 days ago.

I would recommend taking an attorney with you to this hearing. This may force them to reconsider. You need to submit any accommodations you require under the ADA to them in writing. If they have no notice then it is hard to challenge them.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 23 days ago.

If you have no further questions a positive rating would be greatly appreciated