Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was downsized today. :( Here's the story though..My 30

Customer Question

I was downsized today. :( Here's the story though..My 30 something boss has done this to 3 or 4 managers now...we are all in our 50's and she just said that she's giving 1/2 my job to a 30 something that she hired 3 weeks ago that is less experienced and she is giving the other half of my job to ER managers that have no experience and are also in their 30s
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She got rid of almost the entire HR team that are above 50 and promoted or hired people in their 30s to take our place. Should I see a local attorney...I don't want to sign a measly 5 week severance
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is it for the moment...so many thoughts obviously running through my mind. She started treating me indifferently when I brought up safety concerns, as well. I worked for an airline
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

If there is a larger pattern or practice of replacing older employees with younger and less qualified ones, then that is highly suggestive of age discrimination, which is illegal. At this point, the best next step is typically to file a complaint of age discrimination with the EEOC. The EEOC will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....