Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I worked for a college for 14 years never had any problems

Customer Question

I worked for a college for 14 years never had any problems until last month when a new director came aboard. I was called I to HR and that's where I learned that another employee had accused me of pulling a knife on him and threatening him which was absolutely false. I haven't seen any documentation of the allocations. I'm having trouble with finding an attorney can you possibly point me in the right direction?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Tx
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Atwill
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can provide letters from my previous directors whom I had great reviews from
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Falsely accusing someone of a crime is defamation of character, and intentionally getting them fired is also a tort. You could have a cause of action against the person who accused you, if there really was an accusation, or against the HR director if they made up the allegations. Those are intentional torts, so you're going to probably want a lawyer who works in torts litigation, in addition to employment litigation.

That way, you have someone who can try to negotiate with the college about getting your job back (or help you seek unemployment), but they can also help you pursue a recourse against the person or people who put you in this situation in the first place. It helps to have one lawyer who can handle everything.

A good place to find someone near you is www.martindale.com.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?