Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I have rifle permit suspended for failure to notify a change

Customer Question

I have rifle permit suspended for failure to notify a change of address in a timely manner. It's expected to be restored in a few months (I have an attorney for this), however, I'm applying for a job in my field of healthcare and a question on the employment application reads, "Is your license (clinical, driver's, etc.) currently, or has it ever been, the subject of an investigation by licensing authorities, and/or surrendered, restricted, deemed inactive, suspended or revoked? Answering this yes would obviously not be helpful to employment. It has nothing to do with my field whatsoever nor was any violence or moral turpitude being charged here. What do they mean by “license”? Is it only licenses that may reasonably be used by someone while working or getting to work or do they mean every conceivable license that you could have ever held. If you had your license suspended 15 years ago because you forgot to pay a ticket, are you supposed to reveal that? If you got pulled over for a traffic ticket does this mean your drivers license was investigated and this investigation must be reported?
JA: License regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in? I hope not. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NYS. New York City specifically
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's the essence of the situation ... the question seems overly intrusive, but how do I answer it
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 3 months ago.

The way that this question is worded is that it would be looking at licenses that would be relevant to the healthcare field or a driver's license. Investigation by licensing authorities would be an investigation by the medical board responsible for issuing medical licenses, it would not relate to a person being pulled over for a traffic ticket. Additionally, it should not be interpreted to relate to your rifle permit. As you state, the suspended permit is unrelated to the job that you are seeking and would not be the focus of an employment questionnaire.

It would be an unreasonable interpretation for anyone to make the argument that this question is seeking whether your rifle permit was suspended.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, that certainly would seem the common sense interpretation, but I need the assurance of a legal expert before proceeding. Ironically, my field requires certification for my skills but it is not a licensed field (except for a few states) that requires a state or federal license to practise like a medical doctor is required to have.

The questionnaire is probably used by the employer for more than just your specific field, hence why it is asking about licenses. Please provide positive feedback!