Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Not sure which law- My son is not getting paid fairly. He is

Customer Question

Not sure which law- My son is not getting paid fairly. He is getting paid cleaner wages when he is a floor tech. The company doesn't give him enough hours to do that job. Excuses are "glitch in the system ", "it will be fixed next week", etc. He is an excellent Floor tech, has done this job for other companies for about 5 years. This company is GDI- Canadian based by offices here. My son's work is in the county office buildings in Auburn. What should he do? Thank you
Tina Goodall. ***@******.***
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

Well, I completely appreciate the frustration you and your son share about how he is being paid. Unfortunately, however, there is no general requirement that employers be fair in terms of how they pay their employees. The only requirement is that an employer does not base compensation decisions on legally protected traits, such as race, religion or disability. For example, it would be illegal to pay your son cleaner wages for floor tech work if the reason for that decision was because he is Hispanic. However, in the absence of proof that his employer is motivated by a legally protected trait, as defined above, there is no general fairness requirement and the employer's only obligation is to pay at least minimum wage, plus any applicable overtime.

Now, just because it's not illegal to pay an employee unfairly doesn't mean they can't do anything about it. They can complain and make an appeal to the employer's sense of fairness to try to get their compensation increased. They can also leave the employment for a better job somewhere else where they are paid what they deserve. It's just that from a legal standpoint there is regrettably nothing that can be done.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.