Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was let go by WellsFargo 4 weeks ago and never receive or

Customer Question

Hello I was let go by WellsFargo 4 weeks ago and never receive or given any paperwork to read or sign. What is my recourse in case they say I walked out? Worked for them for 19 years, had a large different in cash.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have tried to call HR but placed on hold for 20 mins or more. I applied for unemployment pay till waiting for answer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome. It is actually not particularly common to receive exit paperwork when you are let go. It certainly is not legally required. If they say you walked out and quit as a means of trying to get your unemployment benefits blocked then you would refute that with your personal testimony, witness statements and any other info you can provide to support that you didn't quit. There is generally a presumption in favor of collecting benefits so your employer will need to demonstrate that you actually quit. I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything just let me know.