Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been employed for 18 years by same company in nys. I

Customer Question

I have been employed for 18 years by same company in nys. I am a commission only employee that has had my % of pay changed to match my schedule for the past 7 months. I am a divorced Hispanic female with 2 children so my schedule is more important to me than money, but I do not get alimony or child support so earning money is obviously very important. The company is now telling me to earn the same % I need to work more hours or resign. Do I have any recourse?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 26 days ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to assist you. Please just give me a moment to review your question....

I sincerely ***** ***** could tell you otherwise, but absent an express agreement guaranteeing your previous terms of employment for a set period of time, your employment would by default be "at will" and as such subject to a change in terms at any time. This remains true even if you now have to work more hours to make the some money. Provided you are making at least minimum wage for all hours worked each period, your employer can lower your pay or restructure your position in any manner they choose. You are, of course, free to look for other work on better terms somewhere else, but you cannot sue your employer or force them to maintain your previous terms of employment. I am truly sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....