Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

I contacted my human resource dept one month ago about

Customer Question

I contacted my human resource dept one month ago about monthly amount of pension. I have been retired for almost 5 years and am ready for medicare. I need to get things set up but need information of pension to get ducks in a row. Should it really take that long to get the information?? Thank you *****
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: Yes I have talked to them twice.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time, 37 years
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Hopefully you have all information needed
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 26 days ago.

Your question was "Should it really take that long to get the information?"

The answer is that it often does take a couple of months, depending on a variety of factors. There are different types of pension plans and many of them are administered by an outside company, not the actual HR department. When an employee makes a request to HR then HR has to make the request to he plan administrators and they then have to send the request to the correct section to do the calculations. Depending on how the pension has invested the money, any turbulence in the stock market (such as we are experiencing right now) can cause the plan to have to recalculate a variety of issues. In addition, since this is a request for a future figure, they also have to calculate how many people they are anticipating will request the pension to begin being paid between now and then. Of course, there are computer programs that can instantly calculate the figures, but the variables still must be determined by a person which can delay the response. In addition, October was the last month to file corporate returns if there was an extension requested ans so it is not unusual for a company to be running short handed during the latter half of October all the way through the end of the year.

So while it shouldn't really take over a month to get a response, it often does at this time of the year and there isn't anything that should raise concerns. You may want to send the request in again in case it got misplaced or forgotten.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 26 days ago.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.