Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

MY HUSBAND WAS A RETIREE FROM hONEYWELL. hE PASSEDIN 2010. i

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND WAS A RETIREE FROM hONEYWELL. hE PASSEDIN 2010. i HAVE NOT REMARRIED.NuNFORTUNATLY AFTER FIGHTING BRAIN CANCER OR OVER 11 YEARS i SOLD OUR HOME. i GET APPROXIMATELY $50 A MONTH. nOW i HAVE LOST EVERYTHING TDUE TO MY ILLNESS ANDEMBEZZELED OUT OF 30k. cAN i CLAIM A HARDSHIP TO RECIEVE A LUMP SETTLEMENT? PRAY I CAN. DEBBIE
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: NOT UNION. HE RETIRETIRED FROM FULL TIME. DONT UNDERSTND AT WILL
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yES, FOR NOW A FRIEND HAS GIVEN ME A PLACE TO STAY FOR A FEW WEEKS. BEEN LIVING IN MY CAR. RAYTHEON STATED THEY WILL NOT WORK WITH ME..I REALLY AM DESPERATE
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CALIFORNIA
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 29 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

at this point what outcome are you seeking? are you asking for options to pursue a case and prepare?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 29 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, a pension plan cannot make a lump sum payment to retirees unless there is a provision in the plan description to do so. Thus, in order to even consider trying to get such a lump sum payment, you must get a copy of the retirement plan description to see if they even have such a clause in there for lump sum payments for emergencies (as you would qualify in most cases if they have such a provision based on your health condition).
I am afraid that since the Raytheon plan does not have such a provision, there is no law or statute that would force them to make such a lump sum payment to you on the pension even for hardship I am sorry to say.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.