Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Can i be legally terminated from my place of employment for

Customer Question

Can i be legally terminated from my place of employment for not taking their mandated flu shot in the state of connecticut??? I was informed that they will terminate me by November 18th if i don't get the shot. They also want to give me a verbal warning because i did not get it by November 1st. Just want to know what my legal rights are in connecticut and if anything legal can be done. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 month ago.

The quick answer to your question is: Yes, Connecticut is an employment at will state. That means that discharge “contravenes a clear mandate of public policy” (Sheets v. Teddy's Frosted Foods, Inc., 179 Conn. 471, 474 (1980)). There are prohibitions against discharging an employee for filing a claim for unemployment or workers' compensation, filing a wage enforcement claim, and exercising federal or state constitutional rights of religious freedom, free speech, or assembly. The public policy exception is quite limited and has been recognized only in situations where the employer's action violates some law.

There also can be an action for wrongful termination based on an implied employment contract. In order to prevail on such a claim, an employee must prove that the employer agreed, either by words, action, or conduct, to not terminate the employee without just cause (D'Ulisse-Cupo v. Board of Directors of Notre Dame High School, 202 Conn. 206, 212 n.2 (1987))

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.