Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Ive been off since march. Im in the union for iron workers

Customer Question

Ive been laid off since march. Im in the union for iron workers and ive been laid off since maRch. I got liad off becuase we had school that week and then after that week the school put me and jon suspention. So my employer never called me back. I got in a car accident that wasnt my fault and had no ride and ever since then my life has literally gone to the bottom. Immstill in the union. Can i get paid from when i got laid off? PleAse help me i have no idea how this unemployment works
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 26 days ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only thing you can do is apply for unemployment benefits through EDD. To be eligible for unemployment you have to be unemployed through no fault of your own and you need to be looking for and willing to accept employment. The fact you cannot drive to work or have no ride to work I am afraid is not good cause. If you were suspended from work for anything that was your fault, you would not be eligible. You need to demonstrate to unemployment you are available for work and looking for work and that you are not working through no fault of your own and those would be the only benefits you would be eligible to collect.
Contact EDD and file your claim for unemployment benefits http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
well I never got laid off I was laid off because we had school that week. And then after school the girl hit me and so I never went back to on the off of work list. But because of this they gave me a leave of absence as long as I need to! Witch saying I'm on disability till I go back. But since this happened Ihaven't had any income at all. I'm wondering can I get back pay or do I go through disability. I have no idea !
Thank you for your reply.
If you are on disability and not able to work, you need to contact the union to determine your eligibility for their disability payment or you have to call the state for enrollment in the state short term disability program: http://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/
Those are really the only benefits available to you. You cannot get back pay, just pay into the future for not being able to work.