LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  10+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I sent an insulting email to a co-worker. The email was

Customer Question

I sent an insulting email to a co-worker. The email was forwarded to the company owner who was having all of his email cloned and sent to the company's administrative assistant. Is that legal?
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: No. My immediate supervisor informed my group . . the same day I was terminated.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will, full-time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: A year ago, the same owner was having all of my email cloned and sent to him. I don't know if the administrative assistant was being copied at the same time, but this went on for over 6 months. He would print several emails and we would discuss them in a meeting. I eventually told him that it made me uncomfortable and he said he would stop, but by that time, I was embarrassed to even walk into the building.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please clarify for me what your question is? I understand that the admin assistant was seeing these, as they review and handle the owners email, so can you share with me what I can answer about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The issue is the admin assistant having access to personal information. I don't think a third party should be involved. What's between me and who I personally contact or send information to is private, isn't it?

The admin assistant would be required to keep issue like these private, if they are reporting and helping the owner of the company. It is something that is within the scope of their duties and being privileged to this information would/should require that they not go and spread or share this with other employees. From a legal standpoint, there is nothing illegal about the owner having the admin assistant access to their emails but they should be required to keep these matters private.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!