Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

If a holiday is both a state and federal holiday, can an

Customer Question

If a holiday is both a state and federal holiday, can an employer suddenly decide to no longer pay employees for them . This is in regards ***** ***** school district where the superintendent has decided to do this without the school board. It is only happening to non union employees. Help please!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

It is highly unfortunate, but since there is no law that requires employers to pay employees for holidays on which the employees don't work, such a policy can be changed at any time. The only exception would be if there is a contract or union agreement to the contrary, but as that does not appear to be the case here, the only available recourse is to attempt to persuade the superintendent that the change is unfair. I am truly sorry that the law does not offer more protection but I hope this answers your question.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They work all these holidays uh

If they work the holidays then they absolutely must be paid. It's not different than working any other day.

If the employees are not being paid for actual work time then they can file a wage claim with the Department of Labor.

Does this clarify things or have I misunderstood your question?