Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

This may be too complicated. But, my husband was fired from

Customer Question

This may be too complicated. But, my husband was fired from his job today in Florida. His boss had informed us a couple of days ago that when our son and his son (both seven years old) had been playing over the weekend while we were at their house, that they had engaged in inappropriate behavior with each other. He told us this on Monday, so we made a decision that they wouldn't play together any more and I decided to cut off all contact with this family, only work related contact would be made. He told my husband today his wife felt like it was a slap in the face that I had unfriended her on face book and this wasn't appropriate behavior so he fired my husband. Who has never been fired in the twenty years he has worked. We are at a loss as to what to do, and do not know if we can even take any legal action for this.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This is in Florida, but it isn't a real estate issue, its an employment issue
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is the main issue
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

n employer generally has the right to terminate an employee FOR ANY REASON. The only reasons one cannot be fired for are:

-PUBLIC POLICY (discrimination based on race, religion, creed, etc; or, a retaliatory termination due to a claim made by an employee); or
-CONTRACT POLICY (if one has a contract that disallows such a termination - I am going to assume this does not exist)
-COVENANT OF GOOD FAITH (firing an employee to avoid paying a benefit, for example)

Otherwise, an employer can terminate for any reason, without notice. It can be based on a mistaken rumor, or, just the fact that they do not like your shoes one day. You will hear "right to work" a lot. However, that does not mean what people think it means. All this means is that at time of being employed, the employee has a choice whether or not to join a union as a condition of employment.

As such, the employer terminated your husband's employment due to souring friendships between the families. Childish? Absolutely. Illegal? No.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 27 days ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!