John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was recently off at EDMC which is the online division of

HI, I was recently laid off at EDMC which is the online division of Art Institute of Pittsburgh online. I live in AZ. I had three weeks vacation that they claim will go unpaid. Is that normal?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay standing by

To be sure AZ law controls in this situation because where you, the employee, are located determines jurisdiction. AZ however, does not have a law that mandates payout of accrued vacation at termination. As such, it is a matter of policy/contract that the employer is controlled by. In other words, only if the employer affirms in its policy (such as a handbook or contract to you) that accrued vacation is to be paid out to employees in your circumstance, would they owe you the pay for unused but accrued time off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

Sorry to bother you, but you haven't yet provided a positive rating for this answer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit and I get no credit for the work I put into the matter. Thanks.